Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fractions of Work

For a small portion of today, instead of doing work, I figured out how much work I do. Because I do a lot. And I wanted numbers.

Over the past two years, I was on call for our pilot plant or manufacturing 50% of the time. That meant for half of the time, anytime, I could get called about an issue I would have to deal with.

Over the past two years, I worked around 40% of the weekends, at least one day.

Added up, only 13% of my time over the past two years has been completely free - not on call, not in the office or lab. Someone else at my company who wasn't on call or working weekends would be free 37% of the time. If you only got weekends off - no vacation or holidays - you'd be free 28% of the time. And that 13% includes the entire month I took off last December, to make up for all the overtime I had worked up to that point.

Yeahhhhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment