Thursday, February 25, 2016

It's Not Okay

The older I get the less I say "It's okay" in situations where that's the obvious social expectation.

A coworker screamed in my face at a meeting for whispering in the background.  Later,
    Her: I hope I didn't offend you.
    Me: [Pause] Well, I was talking on a sidebar.

A college student called half an hour after a scheduled informational phone interview.
    Her: I forgot I had a midterm I had to study for.
    Me: [Pause] I'm still free, we can still talk.


Because it's not okay. 

I was standing in a circle with four men at work who are at least ten years older than me, including two of my bosses.
    Coworker: I'd tell a [dirty] joke, but, well, Abby's here.
    Me: [Smile politely and keep standing there so he can't tell it and doesn't get a reaction from me.]

I don't want to acquiesce or give permission to things that aren't okay.

That is my rebellion.

No comments:

Post a Comment