Friday, March 25, 2011

Addendum

Another linguistic annoyance. "Love on" in substitution for "show love to".

For instance, "We're gonna go love on some homeless dudes in the park."

Though maybe I'm the only person who thinks that sounds wrong.

I've seen the viral video of the kid in Australia who body-slammed his bully. It's only to be expected that the "experts" say the kid should have walked away or told an adult; that there should have been a non-violent solution. When I was in middle school, the administration enacted "Zero Tolerance" where anyone got caught fighting--even if in self-protection--would get suspended. One of the best parenting moves my parents ever did was to tell me to completely ignore that. My dad said that if anyone hit me, I was supposed to hit back as hard as I could--and my parents would deal with the consequences. He knew that as a good kid, I would follow the rules, not hit back, and die. The school wanted me to be a dependent wimp. My parents gave me permission to protect myself and implied that they thought I was capable of it. It's a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment