Monday, March 28, 2011

Instructions Are For Sissies

Yes, obviously, the first thing you're supposed to do with a new recipe is read it all the way through. And I did. ...Enough to get all the right ingredients.

I was making a strata for Bonnie and Allison, who came over on Sunday for a book-less book club--which is bookless because our foray into classics with Lolita was particularly disastrous. Stratas are easy. You layer bread with some other ingredients--here, sausage and Granny Smith apples--and pour over eggs. The perfect make-ahead casserole.

Except the catch. You don't pour over just eggs. It's eggs mixed with milk. I got to that stage of the recipe and thought it was weird the eggs only covered the filling junk halfway. Yeahhhhh, totally forgot the two cups of milk. I ended up dumping out the entire casserole into my biggest bowl and mixing in the two cups of milk. And some extra eggs just in case. So much for the layers the strata is named after.

Then the next day I realized I forgot to put in the sage I paid $5 for at the grocery store.

At that stage, it stayed sage-less. In the end it turned out pretty well. I think the dumping and stirring incorporated the bread bits nicely, so it was a uniform texture throughout the egg portion. Bonnie brought fresh pineapple and berries for a luxurious fruit salad and Allison brought great scones (Ina Garten). We do food good.

Today I was at 99 Ranch and had a devil of a time finding tamarind paste. At least, I think what I got was tamarind paste. But then, I was never sure what I got last time was tamarind paste either. That stuff was a sticky block called "Tamarind Seedless" which nonetheless had tons of crap in it. Today I found a jar labeled "Concentrate Cooking Tamarind". We'll see. Tomorrow I'm making pad thai again, returning to the America's Test Kitchen recipe I first tried but this time without the dried shrimp that made it taste like death.

Half the battle of cooking Asian recipes is getting the right ingredients. When I bought the dried shimp I couldn't find it either because it wasn't in the aisle labeled "Dried Seafood". Perplexing. I should probably just go to the other Asian store that's organized by country. But it smells worse.

1 comment:

  1. The strata was awesome even with the missing sage. It was so light and fluffy! I'm going to have to try one myself.

    Did you try re-hydrating the dried shrimp? We use it all the time in our house. They never really get all the way re-hydrated and are quite salty, but that's the good thing about them. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete