Thursday, March 3, 2011

Revisiting the Past's Music and Food

My horoscope today was "It's not fun being bossed around by someone who isn't as efficient or smart as you are, and today you're not willing to do all the work while someone else gets the credit. Fortunately, there is no need to do anything drastic to draw attention to yourself. If you continue to pursue your goals and follow your work ethic, others will eventually appreciate your unique contribution." I found it funny.

I didn't actually get bossed around by anyone today. First, I got to work seven minutes before eight which should have been just enough time to look up which conference room my eight o'clock meeting was in, make a latte, and get there.

That only works if the conference room is in one of the six surrounding buildings.

It was on the other side of campus entirely.

Luckily, my boss's boss was supposed to go the meeting too and I ran into her on the stairs, so we drove over and were late together.

But it was a hectic start to the morning.

After a two-hour videoconference I spent all day in lab building inanimate things and keeping some alive things alive. The lab I'm working in this week doesn't have a computer hooked up to speakers, so it's the CD player or silence. I dug out some CDs I burned two years ago when a similar thing happened (before we got speakers for the computers - now they're just lost because of the lab renovation). Turns out I made two CDs of Rasmus and Travis, and then loaded up the back-end with Weird Al. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea. I do know at the time I was having to come in at midnight a lot and wouldn't have cared what the graveyard shift janitor thought of my music selections. But I've been the only one in lab so it doesn't matter.

Today is my Friday because I'm taking tomorrow off. It's been a month since I didn't have to work on the weekend, so I blocked off the first possible day for vacation. On my calendar, 8 am through 7 pm tomorrow is labeled "Abby needs a weekend".

I keep my gCal private, don't worry.

My associate director doesn't keep his private.

My friend Yael came over yesterday for us to cook dinner together. I learned that just because you think you have such a great idea of a vegetarian dish to make doesn't mean you didn't have that same thought the last time. Luckily Yael said she had liked the Moroccan Couscous with Vegetables and Chickpeas, but I need to research more recipes. I don't have many vegetarian dishes I make besides that and the tortilla and bean soup. I guess there is a whole Internet out there at my fingertips I could utilize. Somehow I rarely think of that for recipes.

Addressing the item on my to-do list, "Eat more cheese", this week I tried Iberico (from Trader Joe's). Yum! Smooth and a little peppery.

Cheese is so awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Is Yael lacto ovo? Because vegetarian is much easier with cheese added. If she is vegan, it is harder to come up with recipes. Lots of Mexican dishes are vegetarian - bean burritos with rice, salsa, etc. Tostadas. Chili bean (vegetarian)enchiladas. And Melissa gave me a recipe for lentil enchiladas that a friend fed her in Texas, and she said it was excellent. If she eats cheese, even a baked potato dinner with assorted toppings is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's actually "kosheritarian", so it could have kosher meat too, if there's no dairy. I guess the thing is I know lots of vegetarian meals I'll eat myself, I just want neat fancy ones to teach her. If it was just about feeding her I'd have plenty of stuff! I'll ask Melissa about the lentil enchiladas, that sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete