Friday, March 2, 2012

Colorimetric Confusion

Choosing a paint color for the third bedroom has had me flummoxed.

Each previous room took two paint samples, or three at most, before I decided. This one is up to six. Maybe this was because for the original painting stint I had spent weeks pouring over paint chips and only had to decide between deeper and lighter shades, or that the first green for the bedroom wasn't so much "sage" as it was "vomit".

I was certain I wanted the third bedroom to be an ocean blue. I could see it in my head perfectly. On the paint chips? Not so much.

First try was Behr "Refreshing Pool" 50% lighter, since they weren't able to go halfway between Refreshing Pool and Glacier Bay, the next lighter on the chip.

It made me feel like I was living in an ice cave. No go. Needed a warmer color.















So tried Behr "Windwood Spring". Not "Woodwind Spring", like I keep typing.

Way too baby blue. Makes me feel like I'm a NC State Wolfpack fan. Not acceptable.

Unsure if I needed the colors to be more green to really be ocean blue, I tried "Sweet Rhapsody" and "Botanical Tint".

Too green. Too dark.

Next try, "Cool Jazz" and "Aqua Spray".












After all that I think "Aqua Spray" is the closest. But it still seemed too blue.

So I painted another swatch on the section of wall I primed today, to see it against white instead of the mint/hospital green of the rest of the walls.


















Now it looks pretty green! What gives? I like it though. That's a good teal. A good guest room teal. It can go with lots of funky color accents. Or something.

Until the color indecision hit I thought I would paint the room yesterday and today because I had taken these days off of work. Since I didn't pick a color that didn't happen. I also didn't totally prep the walls for paint, either, which I had meant to do instead. I did caulk the baseboards in preparation for paint, and primed the drywall patch Nathan and I put in. I also caulked the new water heater vents outside (which the realtor's handyman put in a while ago), and re-caulked the small bathroom's sink area which made it look tons better. It was kind of...black before.

I had my church group over last night and they were very complimentary about both the house and my poppy seed chicken casserole. It's probably the stick of butter that makes it really good. I should make other things out of the Crazy for Casseroles book since it falls open to the poppy seed chicken page.

No comments:

Post a Comment