Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ocean Waves of Tedious Painting

The third bedroom did eventually get painted in 75% Aqua Spray, which wasn't too hard. Nathan and I did it in a weekend and it didn't seem to take too long. I'm pretty fast with a roller now.

The hard part was the scalloped shaped green trim, which needed three coats of white high gloss paint before it looked remotely okay. I'm still debating coat four.

Here's the room color before:



















And after:



















With a close-up of the trim:




















Imagine that trim around the entire room.

Three.

Separate.

Coats.

Removing the upholstery in the alcove was a big deal, but the trim might be even more annoying in the end. Luckily I don't have a use for that room so there's no hurry to finish. But it will be nice to have it painted. While painting it I realized how gross the walls were. Greasy in some places. Lots of dust and cobwebs others. Since buying the house I've learned about myself that I don't care if the dirt is still there if it's entombed in paint.

Work is sending me back to Germany next week so things at the office are getting crazy as the team of us gear up for the trip. Lots of data putting together, final experiments, trying to figure stuff out. One nice thing is since there's five of us going and we needed to be on the same flights and in the same hotel the department admin made all our travel arrangements for us. It was awesome! It makes me want to use a travel agent the next time (or rather, the first time) I plan a big trip. I hate having to pick out and buy flights, pick out and book hotels. I already bought fruit snacks to bring on the plane. I view fruit snacks as having no nutritional merit and will never buy them for myself unless I'm flying. A 12-hour flight to Europe merits a whole box of Gushers. I did learn from my trip in 2010 that they do actually feed you on international flights so I didn't need to pack half my carry-on with snacks.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering, how do you get all those paint samples to try on the wall without buying a can (however small) for each color? Also the truth my hardware store aunt taught me on paint swatches was "always pick a paint sample that is one shade lighter than you really want". It does work out just right that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell half-pint samples of their store brand of paint. I've been paying about $3 per sample at my stores. They're very handy!

      Delete