Saturday, March 24, 2012

Suspicious Reprieve

I had every indication that this weekend was going to be a busy one - full of working from home and answering round-the-clock emails.

Or rather, I had one indication, which was the email telling us that we would be answering round-the-clock emails because the project was so busy.

But when I got home on Friday, I checked my work email another time and saw the official notice from the IT department. The whole network was going out! Email, the way to log in the shared drives, everything. Every single way to connect to anything would be down starting right then for the whole weekend. And since I store all my files on the network, I couldn't do a single thing all weekend long.

Horrible irony or God's answer to an unasked prayer?

In any case, Monday is going to be very busy now. I have a 7:30 am videoconference with Germany and Switzerland (a recent assignment I think I was given because few other people will agree to a 7:30 am videoconference) and a 9:00 pm flight to Germany. And between those two I will have to fit all the work I am not doing this weekend. It's going to be one long workday. Especially because it's going to last 36 hours. Or something like that. The time change really confuses me.

I'm also pretty confused about the network outage. I've been at this job for almost five years now and there's never been a network outage, let alone one that lasts an entire weekend, let alone one that comes on with less than an hour warning. It's such a big deal I got not one, not two, not three, but four texts through the emergency notification system they have. There weren't that many for the gas pipeline explosion the town over or for the ammonia leak at the sausage factory that shut down the campus for a day. We also all have to reset our passwords before we can get back on the network on Monday.

I really want to hear the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment