Saturday, February 6, 2010

Today was a pretty relaxing today for having to go work. I woke up strangely early around eight thirty so I got to work before eleven. I only had to do one media hold, which should be quick because you just pump media into a reactor, but the whole process takes closer to two hours because you have to wait around forty minutes for the media to heat up before you sample. With this experiment I have to put up a media hold each day for ten straight days so I'm very familiar with how long it takes. The other day I amused myself by calculating that the media warms up at .757 deg C/min.

Anyway, after work I bought See's candy with our company discount. One pound for Catherine because she's in grad school and it's stressing her out, so I wanted to send it to her with the Smart Shade foundation and blush I was intrigued by but found out really, really doesn't work on me, which she's willing to try. I'll try to think of something else to put in the package to try and cheer her up too. And then a pound of See's for me too because I love chocolate, and I've finally realized I'll eat less of higher quality chocolate because it's more satisfying. Plus, it's just so freaking delicious.

Then I wanted to stop at the used office furniture store I pass by on my way home sometimes, called Repo Depot, because I think the desk chair I inherited from my childhood bedroom isn't cutting it anymore. I can sit in my desk chair at work all day and not have a problem but in the one at home I end up in all kinds of crazy positions with the most frequent one probably being sitting with my right foot on the chair legs and my left leg on top of the desk. I've noticed my shoulder hurts most in the evenings when I'm at my desk and I think there's a connection, so I've decided to get a new chair. Anyway, there was a big "OPEN" sign outside the store so I turned into the parking lot to find it closed. Then I realized the sign says "Open to the Public" rather than just "Open." Slightly misleading. Plus, I could see the chairs in the window and not only were they outdated (understandably) they were very expensive (not understandably). Like one was $999. For a chair! For a used chair! That chair better make me breakfast for that price, I mean holy cow.

Since I was there and obviously wasn't spending time at the store I crossed the street to the public waterfront. I've walked on the bay trail at other points, more to the south nearer to my apartment and more north, at work, but this particular spot was new. I walked a little distance and it was nice and calm. Not quite waterfront, more like mudflats, and the main view is the airport, but still nice.

But what made my day most relaxing was that when I came home I didn't turn on the computer or TV and just read. That was just perfect. I did do a week's worth of dishes (yes, I'm disgusting sometimes) and put away last week's laundry (yeah, work was busy this week), and also started broth with vegetable scraps. And I salted zucchini to make for dinner, which improves them so much. And I made curry green beans, too.

So all in all it was relaxing AND productive. That's doing quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment